George McBride of Machiasport, Maine wears many hats, former math teacher, physicist, boat builder, engineer and inventor just to name a few. Recently, he brought a prototype of his tidal power generator, Instream Hydro, into one of our science classrooms. As an instream generator, his model is meant to be submerged in the ocean. He discussed how the Bay of Fundy and its powerful 45 foot tides present a unique opportunity for local sustainable, alternative energy. George used techniques he learned at the boat building school in Eastport to make his fiberglass model. McBride also explained the lengthy patent process he has had to go through to protect his ideas. The invention was first tested at the University of Maine in Orono in 2010 and although it didn’t work the first time, has since successfully generated power.
- Coastal Washington County Institute of Technology 2018-2019 Handbook August 28, 2018
- School Start Dates August 28, 2018
- Machias Schools Receive New Digital Sign August 28, 2018
- Welcome Message from Principal Leavitt August 21, 2018
- (no title) November 17, 2017