Advisor: Mrs. Albee
What we do:
- We meet to draft and write bills for our trip to Augusta.
- We attend on-line training sessions to elect participants to fill the offices in the Senate, the House, and the Governor’s Office.
- We participate in a mock legislative program held in the State House in Augusta.
- We learn about the legislative system by having students draft all the bills to be debated and discussed.
Our favorite activities:
- Going to Augusta for the weekend and staying in a hotel
- Debating the bills on the Senate or House floor
- Learning the behind the scenes events that take place in committee rooms
Why we participate:
- To provide students with a first hand experience in the workings of the government
- To provide an awareness of present issues and concerns in the State of Maine
- To help develop leadership skills in those who participate
- To provide opportunities for students to be independent thinkers
- To allow students to be involved citizens seeing how issues facing the State of Maine can be addressed